A clafoutis (pronounced as Kla-foo-tee), is a wonderfully simple French custard-based dessert made traditionally with whole cherries. In our version, we use a variety of fresh plums, but the best bit about a clafoutis is that you can use whichever stone fruit you like. It’s a versatile desert that celebrates seasonal fruit and is just too easy not to try.
The classic French method uses traditional baked egg custard ingredients such a whole milk, white sugar and flour. We replace milk with homemade yogurt, include almond flour, switch white sugar for coconut sugar and add a pinch of nutmeg. For the smoothest finish we throw all the ingredients into the Vibe Blender jug for a quick blitz. The result is a creamy, caramel-like custard dessert that takes only a few minutes prep before baking.
A clafoutis doesn’t have a pastry base. To give the flan structure don’t be shy coating the baking dish with plenty of butter and sugar.
Serve warm or cold. It’s fantastic either way!
1 heaped tablespoon of melted butter
2 tablespoons coconut sugar (to dust the pan)
7-8 fresh plums, washed, halved and pitted (any variety)
1 cup (250g) yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup (75g) coconut sugar (or your preferred sugar)
½ cup (60g) almond flour
¼ (35g) cup tapioca flour (GF flour or regular all-purpose flour)
½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Powdered sugar or almond flour for dusting (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 350°Ff (180°C)
2. Brush the melted butter over the base of a 24cm ceramic or glass flan/tart dish and dust liberally with sugar, shaking to coat up the sides.
3. Arrange the prepared plums, cut side up, in the dish.
4. In the Vibe Blender jug combine all the remaining ingredients in the order listed. (wet ingredients first). Secure the lid on and blend on ‘smoothie’ mode for 20 seconds.
5. Pour the custard batter in between the plums in the baking dish.
6. Transfer to the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until brown and firm to touch in the centre.
7. To serve: If you prefer to serve slices, wait until the clafoutis has completely cooled and set. To serve it hot or warm, scoop it out with a large spoon.
8. Dust with powdered sugar or a little bit of almond meal for the same effect minus the sugar, just before serving.
9. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 3 days.