This recipe for apple and cinnamon overnight oats couldn't be easier to make. All it takes is a few minutes prep time in the evening and you have a healthy breakfast covered. Completely customisable, you can make it gluten free, dairy-free, refined-sugar free or vegan. Overnight, the oats and chia seeds soften and thicken into a filling breakfast pudding that will have you leaping out of bed to enjoy it.
Because overnight oats can last for days in the fridge it’s well worth making a double (or triple) batch and have breakfasts covered for the whole week. Any jar is good for the job but for ultimate freshness, pack the oats into the ‘Fresh’ 450ml glass vacuum containers. They’re super cute, airtight, stackable, transportable and won’t leak or break. Just grab a container on your way out the door, you’ll be the envy of the office when you open the lid and dig in!
Best of all, overnight oats are incredibly nutritious, their packed with super foods and made extra creamy and decadent if you use homemade yogurt. You can choose to add any yogurt you fancy. Find all of our homemade yogurt recipes here. You can also customise the base recipe with a few simple add-ins. For an old-fashioned apple-pie flavour, try adding a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg, ground ginger and clove. For extra texture and chewiness add nuts or dried fruit.
MAKES 2 (multiply for extra portions)
1 cup of rolled oats
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon of flax or chia seeds
1 tablespoon of pepitas
1 cup of homemade yogurt (dairy or plant-based)
½ cup of milk or milk alternative
1 tablespoon of honey or maple syrup (plus more taste)
1 apple peeled and grated
Raisins or cranberries
Chopped pecans or walnuts
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg, ginger and cloves for apple pie version
1. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir thoroughly to incorporate. The mixture will be quite runny at first but will thicken up when the oats and chia absorb the liquid.
2. Divide the mixture into vacuum seal containers or jars.
3. Top with extras of your choice.
4. Store in the fridge. The oats are ready to eat after an hour but overnight is ideal.
5. Overnight oats will last up to 5 days in the fridge but if using the Luvele Fresh vacuum seal containers, the oats will last a week or more.
If you make this, or any of our recipes, we would love to see your creations. Leave us a comment, or tag a photo using #luvelelife on Instagram.