These homemade muesli bars are infused with orange. With a double citrus burst of fresh juice and zest, plus cinnamon, cardamom and honey, your taste buds are sure to transport you somewhere exotic! These muesli bars are bulked out with old-fashioned oats and almonds, so they make a great protein & fibre rich breakfast on the go or snack. They are vegan, naturally sweet and can be made gluten free.
Dehydrator orange and almond muesli bars save well, (for several months) without containing the long list of unhealthy fats, sweeteners or preservatives found in store-bought muesli bars.
If you’ve never made muesli bars in the Breeze Food Dehydrator, you are going to be pleasantly surprised by just how easy they are to make. The only special equipment required are the Breeze dehydrator silicon mesh sheets that are sold separately.
2 cups of rolled oats (gluten free oats)
½ cup flaked almonds*
¼ cup of pepitas
¼ cup shredded coconut
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cardamom
1 orange – zest removed, then peeled and quartered
1 cup of raisins or sultanas
¼ cup honey or maple syrup
* For extra texture and flavour toast the flaked almonds first.
1. Combine the dry ingredients plus the zest and half of the raisins in a large mixing bowl.
2. Puree the remaining sultanas, orange and honey (or maple syrup) in the Vibe Blender.
3. Pour the puree into the dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
4. Prepare 2 x Breeze dehydrator trays with the non-stick silicon mesh sheets.
5. Spoon the muesli mixture onto the sheets and shape into bars with your fingers. Do your best to keep the bars to a consistent thickness so that they dry evenly.
6. Set the dehydrator temperature to 70°C / 160°F and the time to 10 hours. The bars may require additional time. If you plan to keep them in long term storage, over cooking is better than leaving moisture in the bars.
7. When the bars are done, they will be chewy and bend slightly before snapping.